niedziela, 12 maja 2013

Freedom Writers

It's been a few days since my last post and from now on I decided to post just twice a week. First post - on Sunday, to start a good week full of nice expectations and emotions, and second - on Friday to sum up everything that happened to me during the week.

My today's post title is the title of the movie which I really like and like to think about as one of my favourite movies. All the characters in this movie are unique, the storyline and the approach that teacher used...man, writing this right now made me realize I want to watch it again :) So the quote from the movie to start today's post is:


Marcus: I've never had a hero before. But you are my hero.
Miep Gies: Oh, no. No, no, no, young man, no. I am not a hero. No. I did what I had to do, because it was the right thing to do. That is all.

The first thing in my today's list would be related to the quote, cause I'd like to thank for : 

1. Ordinary sperheros. And by the word "ordinary" I mean unusual, not fitting to the stereotype of superhero. These are such people as:
Jim Carrey in the movie "Yes Man" (an ordinary guy who is committed to saying "YES" in every situation), 
Connie Herman - a teacher at Perry Meridian High School who was suspended for year and a half for using Freedom Writers Dairy against the wishes of the school board, 
Dick Hoyt - a 73 year old father who has pushed his son Rick(who has cerebral palsy) in a wheelchair along the 26.2 mile marathons for more than 30 years! no comments here :)
David Blaine  - an illusionist who didn't stop after failing for so many times and managed to hold his breath for more than 17 minutes in 2008!!..this World Guiness Record was broken 4,5 month later, but for me David is an example of an enormous dedication , committment, and an approach that says "so if someone could do that, I can..in fact, I can even do better". Thank you David for your inspirational speech on TEDmed :)
Nick Vujicic - a guy famous for his saying "no leg, no hand no worries" ...man, it's hard to watch any of his shows without a tear in the eye..He was , as Lady Gaga sings "born this way" , and while getting through depression and trying to understand " why ? " he decided that his condition (tetra-amelia syndrome) would be his advantage, not a disorder. Appart from being a motivational speaker, this guy has a double Bachelor's degree in Accounting, he is the director of his own non-profit organisation "Life without Limits", and in 2012 he found his spouse!.. No need to tell you how great his shows are, just watch one and you'll be amazed how your complaints seem stupid and meaningless now.
......and many many others I will eventually name in future posts. Thank you all for doing what you do, inspiring others and sharing your stories and experience. Big credit to all of you!


2. The Audiobooks :) Once again a big credit to those who spend their time recording audiobooks (and often not getting paid for that) and letting us listen to amazing things while driving a car,ridding a bicycle or while simply laying on the bed comfortably and staring at the ceiling. I love audiobooks and I am really thankfull for all those people who make a contribution to the recording and distribution process of those. Thank you very much!!!

3. The web-sites that allow you to convert files eg. from "pdf" to "jpg" etc. I know that it seems like no big deal but for me it makes my life much easier therefore I had to mention it here. Thank you all for creating these web-sites and making it (sometimes) absolutely for free. 

That's it for today, seems like I've summed up my week with three things  - internet (web-sites) , education (audiobooks) and heros among human beings ;)

A good quote to start an effective and positive weeek :
            
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." (F, Nietzsche)


Be insane, hear the music, and don't forget to have fun!
Bryvus


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz